06 January 2009

First Kiss and "All Under Heaven Are Equal"


Good morning (how can I be so happy at 6 a.m., when I woke up and cried inconsolably several times during the night?) Today Willow stayed present and engaged all day; she really enjoyed being out and about for sure (as long as her view of the world is from the Ergo baby carrier, held tight against Mommy). I think my hips have been ground down by the tops of my femurs! She's not that big, but nevertheless I am in painful bliss being with her 24/7.

I got my first "random act of kissing" by Willow in the taxi on the way home this afternoon. Simply precious.



All Under Heaven Are Equal. These are the words inscribed on the front of Dr. Sun Yat-sen's Memorial Hall (above and below, respectively). I think he means that no person, religion, or God is superior, and I want to believe that also deems equal standing to all of God's creatures (microbes, insects, birds, reptiles, fishes, and mammals). I guess I will have to read more to understand who this man was, and how he shaped China before the rise of Communism later in the 20th century. Anyway, the Hall is exquisite inside; similar to sn opera hall, but there are no pillars, and no echo.

After our morning visit, we spent a couple of hours at the Wholesale Toy Market (which included lots of items besides toys). Chris and our guide, Sara, are two peas in a pod (books, especially Lonely Planet travel guides): I am alone in my quest for interesting and fun items, and groovy clothes for Willow. We did get a few really neat toys. including wooden frogs (with magnets inside) that dance on a music box (also wood) that plays Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Then, there was a neat stuffed animal monster, similar to an Ugly Doll (pictured below). I could have spent many more hours there (but my companions weren't as enamored). I guess I'll have to sneak back by myself. However, despite also having some really cute tub-toys, please note what Willow really likes to play with while taking a bath: an empty plastic bottle.

We watched a Baby Sign Language video this afternoon. She loved it, and was dancing and trying to sign. She knows Daddy, Mommy, Chloe, Gus, Ear, Nose, Eye, Mouth, and Bottle (in English and some by sign).

Signing off early to try to get some extra sleep, G.W. ... more pictures below.






4 comments:

Donna said...

LOVE seeing a smiling baby girl!!!

acrees said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
acrees said...

Finally found your blog and read every single word. Thank you so much for sharing the adventure! She is so beautiful and full of vitality - such a little gem. I love hearing the details. I'm not sure why- just love hearing about humanity, and what comes through despite adversity. I keep thinking about what perfect parents you are for her, how everyone must think so when they see you together. I went through quite a transition when Chris wrote that Willow was asleep on her mom's lap. I had not seen the pictures, and it made it all real. Now it seems very real. Love, Lisa
PS It was me who deleted the comment above - oops!

Unknown said...

Hi Meryl, Chris and Willow - So exciting to see you all together and happy. Enjoy the warm weather - its snowing again here in SD today!