01 September 2010

Getting to Know Her


Super sad eyes (red from crying; our first evening together). Willow tries to console her with Yellow Teddy.


The orphanage staff has informed us that she has NEVER had a bottle; instead, they have always fed her formula and rice-cereal with a spoon. She’s a chunk, so she hasn’t had too much problem eating. I’ve tried to look at her palate, which I can see is clefted, but I can’t get a sense of how it compares to other cleft palates (I don’t know if it is narrow or wide). Those of you who have adopted will recognize the limpness in her arms and general stature (shut down, and in shock).

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Poor little thing....I'm sure she is so confused. It is such a difficult transition sometimes. Thinking of you! I'm sure she will soon start to realize you are her forever family.

Lisa, Bill and XingXing said...

Thinking about you guys.

mnfamily said...

I LOVE the picture of Willow trying to comfort Tupelo with the bear. Those two will be pretty tight I think...

Nancy

Beth said...

Precious! Those early expressions can break your heart can't they? I love that Willow is already showing such empathy. I was going to ask how the new big sister is doing. Remembering our Guangxi days here in WI - thinking of you daily! - Beth

Amy said...

Oh how I recognize Tupelo's body language. Aw, Meryl, I know it is heartbreaking to watch your baby girl grieve. Sweet Willow...what a nurturing big sister. We just celebrated our 2nd month with Ruby, and I am in awe at the transformation from those very early days where she, too, was shut down and in survival mode. Peace and Trust and Comfort WILL COME for precious Tupelo. Hang on and know that your entire family is being lifted up with every best wish and prayer from so many back here at home. With Love and (((BIG HUGS))), Amy

Unknown said...

Oh, she is so cute! I love the photos with Willow. What a beautiful family. -Jean

Macey said...

Meryl - the pictures are beautiful. Big congratulations from me. I look forward to meeting your expanded family!

e said...

She's beautiful, and your friend Amy has it so right. That she hadn't had a bottle "feeds" right into the reflex integration work I mentioned to you. Still, a lot of love and attention go a long way, and it's clear that you, Chris, Willow, and the puppies are providing that!