24 August 2010

Mooncakes and Martinis

I'll get to the Mooncakes and Martinis in a minute. But let me start by telling you this is the first day we aren't all incapacitated by jetlag. We have managed to haul ourselves out of the hotel each day, of course, for minimal sightseeing and poking around the back alleys. We have topped off each evening by swimming in the rooftop (30th floor) pool which overlooks all of Hong Kong.

I (Meryl) had averaged between 2.5 to 3.5 hours of sleep for the first 3 nights (no one else had much more, either). But, today we did travel to see the worlds largest (seated outdoor) Buddha (Tian Tan Buddha, completed in 1993). Travel to TTB included a 5 km aerial cable car ride (and we chose a glass-bottom version to further torture Aunt Dory, who has aerophobia!) In addition to the main attraction, there were also some water buffalo grazing grass in between the tourist shops and holy sites. A young girl about 10 years old went a little too close and the buffalo gently moved her out of the way by picking her up with its horns and dropping her on the ground (the parents didn't notice until I brought it to their attention). She wasn't hurt, but it was like watching a rodeo. There were also some fascinating dogs milling about: half old-world village mutt x jindo.

We stopped at the Starbucks (not far from TTB) whereupon they were selling mooncakes (stuffed with espresso and machhiato paste). It was my first mooncake AND it was delicious (somehow these sounded more appealing than the bean-paste variety).

Poor Aunt Dory--left exhausted by her fear of heights, a subway ride through Hong Kong during the rush hour commute, and throngs of people staring at her freckled creamy skin and glistening auburn hair--spent the train ride home talking about a much-desired Martini at the Karaoke lounge in our hotel (she never got it, and has promptly fallen asleep as I write this blog).

Hoping I'll have the energy and motivation to download (and post) our pictures tomorrow.

Good night. We love you all and one.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Merly,

So glad you are adjusting with site seeing, swimming and mooncakes. It might take the first week to acclimate. I'm envious of your experiences....enjoy.

I curious to know what willows reaction now that you're in china.

I wish you adjustment, memorable experiences and a new normal during your stay.

all my love,

Susie from Minnesota

Unknown said...

Merly,

So glad you are slowly adjusting with site seeing, swimming and mooncakes. It might take the first week to acclimate. I'm envious of your experiences...... enjoy.

I'm curious about Willow's reaction now that you're there.

I wish you adjustment, memorable experiences and a new normal during your stay.

All my love,

Susie from Minnesota

Anonymous said...

Hi! This is Jenney and John Alvis from Albuquerque. We are so glad you all made it. Good luck with everything and give Aunt Dory a big hug for us! Y'all are my heroes!

Jenney

kmk said...

Jennifer jones and I were talking about you all tonight and wondering how everything is. Thinking of you all! XO kristen

Katy said...

Hey Meryl and Chris (and W and Aunt Dory, too!):
Wondering how things are going...miss your wonderful updates. Thinking of you and hope all is going smoothly.
Katy

Unknown said...

So glad your journey has started. And Hong Kong sure sounds different from the place I knew in the 70's. No Buddha. No subway.

Can't wait to see pictures of your growing family.

Love,
Diane

Dan and Karen said...

Sounds like you are all having quite the adventures! We can't wait to follow along on Forever Family day. Congratulations!

Karen, Dan, Danika and Sienna
MN Red Thread

Heather O'Meara said...

wow! You are in Hong Kong!!! I guess I didn't realize that until now. I am so excited for you guys and all that is happening with your family. I am following your blog daily! Happy trails!